Your Health | Faulty Furnace

About 500 people die each year in the United States due to unintentional CO poisoning. Another 150,000 people end up in the emergency room. Children are especially vulnerable.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas. The deadly fumes can leak from faulty furnaces, water heaters or gas stoves. It can be trapped inside by a blocked chimney or flue. Other sources include running a car engine in an attached garage or operating a gas-powered generator indoors.

Carbon monoxide prevents effective delivery of oxygen throughout the body in the bloodstream. At lower levels, carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms: headaches, dizziness, weakness and fatigue. At higher levels, or with prolonged exposure, it can cause confusion, disorientation, impaired vision and coordination, brain damage, coma, and death.

Before turning on the heat in your home this fall, have Air Wise inspect, clean and tune-up your central heating system (furnaces, flues and chimneys). Install or replace old carbon monoxide alarms in your home.

With Air Wises’ Maintenance Program, we provide complete check, cleaning and adjustments to all heating elements in your home. Please visit the Yearly Maintenance page of our web site.

Read more about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide here.

Call us anytime at (713) 231-2222